What does it take to be an Open Studios Artist?
Brookline Open Studios started in 1986 when a handful of artists living in Brookline opened up their home studios to the general public one weekend in the spring. Since then, more and more artists living or working in Brookline have participated in Open Studios, showing their work and process of creating artwork to the general public. Brookline Open Studios is usually held the last weekend in April each year. The 2018 Open Studios weekend will be Saturday, April 28 and Sunday, April 29. Visual artists of all artistic mediums living or working in Brookline are welcome to participate in Brookline Open Studios. Open Studios is not a juried event. If you register, you will participate.
What are the registration fees?
- Fees for participating artists:
- $100 for individual artists who volunteer.
- $155 for institutions.
- The fees cover costs for the website, brochure, advertising, events, and balloons for Open Studios weekend.
How do I register?
- The registration process is completed online.
- The registration form will be available on the website by mid-January to artist members.
- The registration deadline to be included in the event brochure is February 15.
- The final registration deadline is April 1.
What exposure will my artwork get?
- The Open Studios Brochure
- Artists who register by February 15 will also be listed in the brochure.
- The brochure contains an image, a short description, and the artist’s Open Studios location.
- The Open Studios website
- Each participating artist will have an image in the artist gallery and have an individual artist page on our website.
- The artist page will have details, including an artist statement, about the artist and where the artist will be showing during Open Studios.
- The Preview Show
- There is a Preview Show at the Brookline Public Library, Hunneman Hall (2d floor) that runs from mid-March to mid-April.
- The show allows the general public to get a glimpse of the artwork that will be on display during Open Studios weekend.
- For a $15 fee, a participating artist may submit one work of art to display in the Preview Show. The fee covers the cost of the Preview Show Reception.
- All participating artist are encouraged to attend the reception.
What if I don’t have a place in Brookline to exhibit my work?
- As the name Open Studios implies, artists are encouraged to open their home/work studios to showcase their work and art process.
- Group sites are available to Brookline artists. More information about site availability can be found after creating a login.
- Group sites are limited, so we encourage artists who have home studios to share their studios for the weekend with one or two (or more) artists in need of a space to exhibit.
- Artists in group sites are strongly encouraged to show off their works in progress or demo the tools of their trade in addition to displaying their artwork.